Peter the Great
Died aged c. 53
Peter the Great (Russian: Пётр Вели́кий, tr. Pyotr Velikiy, IPA: [ˈpʲɵtr vʲɪˈlʲikʲɪj]), Peter I (Russian: Пётр Первый, tr. Pyotr Pyerviy, IPA: [ˈpʲɵtr ˈpʲɛrvɨj]) or Pyotr Alekseevich (Russian: Пётр Алексе́евич, IPA: [ˈpʲɵtr ɐlʲɪˈksʲejɪvʲɪtɕ]; 9 June [O.S. 30 May] 1672 – 8 February [O.S. 28 January] 1725) ruled the Tsardom of Russia and later the Russian Empire from 7 May [O.S. 27 April] 1682 until his death in 1725, jointly ruling before 1696 with his elder half-brother, Ivan V. Through a number of successful wars, he expanded the Tsardom into a much larger empire that became a major European power and also laid the groundwork for the Imperial Russian Navy after capturing ports at Azov and the Baltic Sea. He led a cultural revolution that replaced some of the traditionalist and medieval social and political systems with ones that were modern, scientific, Westernised and based on the Enlightenment. Peter's reforms had a lasting impact on Russia, and many institutions of the Russian government trace their origins to his reign. He is also known for founding and developing the city of Saint Petersburg, which remained the capital of Russia until 1917. He was also responsible for the brutal torture and excecution of the Streltsy.DbPedia
Commemorated on 3 plaques
Deptford Friends' Meeting House stood here. Demolished 1807. Peter the Great Czar of Russia worshipped here 1697-8
146 Deptford High Street, SE8, London, United Kingdom where they worshipped (1697-1698)
c. 1580 This building formed part of The White Hart, Petersfield's leading coaching inn until the 18th century, with stabling for over 100 horses. Charles II, Samuel Pepys and Peter the Great all stayed here.
Winton House, High Street, Petersfield, United Kingdom where they stayed
Russian Czar Peter the Great visited Godalming in March 1698 and stayed overnight at the Kings Arms Inn. This plaque was cast and presented to citizens of Godalming by citizens of Moscow Fili district to commemorate the tercentenary of this visit.
King's Arms, 22 High Street, Godalming, United Kingdom where they was