Toronto and York Radial Railway
(1889-1948)

thing and railway

Died aged c. 59

The Toronto and York Radial Railway was a transit operator providing services to the suburbs of Toronto, Canada. It was a subsidiary of the Toronto Railway Company. The company was created by merging four Toronto-area railway operations. The company was part of the empire of railway entrepreneurs Sir William Mackenzie and Donald Mann which included the Canadian Northern Railway and the parent Toronto Railway Company.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Toronto's Radial Railways. Electric railway services on routes radiating from Toronto began in 1889. Within 20 years Toronto and York Radial Railway Company operated lines north on Yonge Street to Sutton, with a branch to Schomberg, from the east end of Toronto to West Hill, and from Sunnyside to Port Credit. In 1917, the Toronto Suburban Railway Company completed its line from west Toronto to Guelph. It also had a route to Woodbridge. These companies operated about 115 miles of trackage. Because they failed to reach downtown Toronto, the radials fell easily prey to through inter-urban highway bus service after 1925. Most services were discontinued in the 1930's. The last, from Toronto to Richmond Hill, was abandoned in 1948.

13629 Guelph Line, Milton, ON, Canada where it was