Sir John A. Macdonald GCB
Died aged c. 76
Commemorated on 3 plaques
The Albany Club of Toronto The Albany Club of Toronto was established in 1882 as a conservative political club. Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada's first prime minister, strongly encouraged the creation of the club. He joined it in early 1883 and became its first honorary president in 1889. The first president was Alexander Morris, Q.C., Conservative house leader in Ontario and a former law student of Sir John A. Morris later became chief justice and Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba. The club was named after Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany, fourth son and eighth child of Queen Victoria. The club moved to 91 King Street East in August of 1898. Ten of Canada's Conservative prime ministers have been members of the Albany Club, as has every one of Ontario's ten Conservative premiers to date. Members have also held the offices of Governor General and Lieutenant Governor and have served their community, their city and their country with distinction. The club retains its conservative political affiliation. Erected to commemorate the centennial of the club's occupancy of this building.
91 King Street East, Toronto, ON, Canada where they joined the club (1883) and became an honorary president (1889)
To the glory of God and in memory of Sir John A. Macdonald 1815 - 1891 Canada's first prime minister, born in Ramshorn Parish, emigrated with his family to Kingston, Upper Canada, in 1820. A successful lawyer, he was elected to the provincial legislature in 1844 and became leader of the Conservative party. He played a leading role in the effort to achieve a federal union of Britain's North American colonies which resulted in the formation of the Dominion of Canada on July 1, 1867. Macdonald served as prime minister, 1867-73 and 1878-91, and under his administration large territories were added to Canada, a transcontinental railway built and settlement of the west encouraged.At his death Canada's autonomy, based on rapid economic development and a close British-Canadian relationship, was assured.
98 Ingram Street, Merchant City, G1 1EX, Glasgow, United Kingdom where they was born near (1815)
Sir John Alexander Macdonald (1815-1891). This Kingston lawyer was the chief architect of Confederation, which led to the creation of the Dominion of Canada on July 1st, 1867. He was Canada’s first Prime Minister and led the country for almost 19 years. The record of Macdonald’s governance stands as exceptional despite the Pacific Scandal and North-West Rebellion. Through the National Policy and its tariff designed to develop the early Canadian economy, his government completed the transcontinental railway and opened the West for settlement. He also created a national police force, the North-West Mounted Police. Known for consensus building and practical leadership, Macdonald laid the foundation of a strong and united Canadian nation stretching from sea to sea to sea. / Cet avocat de Kingston fut l’architecte en chef de la Confédération, qui mena à la création du Dominion du Canada le 1er juillet 1867. Premier à occuper le poste de premier ministre du Canada, il dirigea le pays pendant près de 19 ans. Le bilan de sa gouvernance est remarquable malgré le scandale du Pacifique et la Rébellion du Nord-Ouest. Dans le cadre de la Politique nationale axée sur des tarifs pour développer l’économie, son gouvernement compléta le chemin de fer transcontinental et ouvrit l’Ouest à la colonisation. Il créa aussi la Police à cheval du Nord-Ouest. Reconnu pour sa recherche du consensus et son leadership pragmatique, Macdonald jeta les assises d’une nation unie et forte, s’étendant d’un océan à l’autre.
City Park, Kingston, ON, Canada where they was