Old Alton Bridge

place and bridge

Aged unknown

Old Alton Bridge is a historic iron through-truss bridge connecting the cities of Denton, Texas and Copper Canyon, Texas. Built in 1884 by the King Iron Bridge Manufacturing Company, it originally carried horses and later automobiles over Hickory Creek at a location that once was a popular ford for crossing cattle. The bridge takes its name from the abandoned community of Alton, which between 1850-1856 was the seat of Denton County. The heavily traveled Old Alton Bridge remained in constant use until 2001 when vehicle traffic was moved to an adjacent concrete-and-steel bridge. Prior to the new bridge, it was necessary for motorists to signal with a car horn before crossing the single lane span. The new bridge straightened out a sharp curve on both sides of the creek and provided additional travel lanes. With vehicle traffic removed, the bridge became an important link connecting the Elm Fork and Pilot Knoll Hiking and Equestrian Trails. Today it is a popular location for nature enthusiasts and photographers. Old Alton Bridge was included in the National Register of Historic Places, July 8, 1988.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Nicolas Henderson on Flickr
Texas Historical Marker #16364

Old Alton Bridge. #16364

?, Denton, TX, United States where it sited