Mortlake Mechanics' Institute
place and Mechanics' Institute
Commemorated on 1 plaque
MIV Historical Plaques Program #0022
Mortlake Mechanics' Institute. Established on this site 1869. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 22 in the MIV series, was erected in 2008 to honour the memory of the people of Mortlake and district who have built and maintained our hall for the benefit of our community.
Mortlake Mechanics Institute, Mortlake, Victoria, Australia where it sited