Frank Swift

Died aged unknown

Frank Victor Swift (26 December 1913 – 6 February 1958) was an English footballer, who played as a goalkeeper for Manchester City and England. After starting his career with local clubs near his home town of Blackpool, in 1932 he was signed by First Division Manchester City, with whom he played his entire professional career. Swift broke into the Manchester City first team in 1933, taking part in the club's run to the 1934 FA Cup Final, where the club triumphed 2–1 against Portsmouth. Three years later Swift won a League Championship medal, after playing in every match of Manchester City's championship-winning season. War denied Swift several years of playing in his prime, though during wartime he was chosen to represent his country in international matches. After the war he made his competitive international debut, playing 19 internationals between 1946 and 1949. Swift retired in 1949, taking up a career in journalism as a football correspondent for the News of the World. He died, aged 44, in the Munich air disaster after reporting on Manchester United's European Cup match against Red Star Belgrade.

Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons

In memory of 13 members of the Air Raid Precautions and the Fire Service killed at Abbey Road Depot on the 7th September 1940. Alf Bridgeman - ARP rescue squad leader Fred Chilvers - ARP rescue squad Hugh Dicken - AFS Ted Dunn - ARP demolition squad Matthew Fenwick - ARP warden Fred Jones - ARP warden Sid Lowings - ARP light rescue squad leader George Odell - ARP rescue squad Wally Porter - ARP rescue squad Frank Swift - ARP messenger Bill Willis - ARP stretcher bearer Hugh Dicken - Auxillary Fireman Bill Long - Auxillary Fireman Wally Turley - Sub Officer West Ham Fire Brigade At the start of World War II, part of Abbey Road Depot was in use as an Air Raid Precautions Cleansing and Ambulance Station. On 7 September 1940, known as Black Saturday, the Blitz on London began. At 7.15pm the depot recieved a direct hit, thereby becoming one of the first places in West Ham to be bombed Lest We Forget

Abbey Road, Stratford, E15, London, United Kingdom where they was killed (1940)