Carrollton Black Cemetery Carrollton’s early African-Americans, many of whom were former slaves, helped settle and build the community. By 1871, this portion of forty acres belonging to Scott Boswell, Sr., an African-American farmer, was a community cemetery. In 1915, C.B. Baxley acquired the cemetery and surrounding land. Although the site holds dozens of burials, only three names (Ned Welch, Loving, and Davis) are now visible. Joyce Collins (1960) is believed to be the last burial. No records exist for others buried here; flooding from the Elm Fork of the Trinity River destroyed many grave markers. Once threatened by new development, the site is a precious record of the early history of Carrollton. Historic Texas Cemetery – 2010 Marker is Property of the State of Texas
1525 West Belt Line Road, Carrollton, TX
Google Streetview OpenStreetMap
by Texas Historical Commission on 23 June 2012
None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.