Locust Grove. Established in the 1800s, the Locust Grove community included a saw mill, three churches, a grocery store, a doctor's office and a school. In 1891, J. H. Muckleroy and W. B. Martin sold three acres to James F. Smith and W. J. Waggoner for a school, church and burial ground. Smith and Waggoner donated the land to trustees the following year. A two-story building served as a schoolhouse and Baptist church. A post office, named for first postmaster James Hiram Hughes, operated from 1893 to 1906 and gave the community its later name of Hiram. Locust Grove Baptist Church prospered, and in May 1919 dedicated a new church house, which is still in use. The church and adjoining cemetery are the community's remaining historic landmarks. #17621

by Texas Historical Commission

Colour: black




None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.