St Martin's Gate St Martin's Gate was probably the largest of Worcester's medieval gates, and was also known as the East Gate. First recorded in the reign of Henry II (1154-1189), it was the last of the gatehouses to be demolished, in 1787. It led to the industrial suburb of Silver Street and Lowesmoor and the low-lying marshy land of the Frog Brook valley, and then on to Droitwich. Charles II escaped through this gate aftr his defeat at the battle of Worcester in 1651.

Elliott Brown on Flickr

Corn Market (near the end of New Street), Worcester
Google Streetview

by University of Worcester and Worcester Civic Society Part of the Worcester City Walls series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

See also...
David Anstiss on Geograph
Jez Nicholson on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr
Matt Brown on Flickr
TonyMo22 on Flickr
Elliott Brown on Flickr
Simon Harriyott on Flickr
Elliott Brown on Flickr
Philip Halling on Geograph
TiggerSnapper on Flickr
Elliott Brown on Flickr
Kath-H on Flickr
Elliott Brown on Flickr
Nick Harrison on Flickr