The Board & Elbow In the mid seventeenth century this building was referred to in the deeds as the ‘Gambling Corner House’ because a tailor of that name had his shop on this corner of Cornmarket and Great Dockray. It became a wine and spirits business run by George Bird, before Glasson's Penrith Breweries bought the property in about 1900. The bar attached to their wine and spirits shop was called 'The Snug', also known as the ‘Elbow Room’. eventually becoming the Board & Elbow of today. The building to the left bears the date 1624 and was formerly the Old Black Lion, though it was later incorporated into the Board & Elbow.