The foundry established by William Caslon 1692-1766 typefounder stood on this site 1737-1909

A rare late instance of The London County Council commemorating a 'site of' - the Caslon plaque being affixed to an anonymous 50's office block where the Caslon foundry formerly stood in 1958. Following demolition in 1989 the plaque was reinstated on the equally anonymous office block that replaced it by English Heritage. Between 2010 and 2017 the plaque was completely obscured by a large awning over the entrance. This awning, the entrance, and the plaque, were removed in 2017 for further remodelling, as a similarly anonymous metropolitan supermarket, of the building's Chiswell Street aspect. It was reinstated again by English Heritage in 2018.