The Arena Gardens On this site, the Arena Gardens, at the time Canada's largest indoor facility, opened 7 October 1912. It became the new home of Toronto's first professional hockey team, the Toronto Arenas, later renamed the Toronto Maple Leafs. Besides hockey, other sports, including bicycle racing, curling, boxing, wrestling and tennis used the space. On 10 June 1925, the building held the inaugural service of the United Church of Canada. Remodelled to include roller skating facilities and renamed the Mutual Street Arena in 1938, it hosted the Glen Miller Band in 1942 and crooner Frank Sinatra in 1948 as well as the city's first Boat Show in 1954. The Arena was extensively remodelled in 1962 and renamed The Terrace. It was demolished in 1989.