George Lawton (1878-1949) Born in Mossley, the son of a Mossley Magistrate, Alderman and cotton mill proprietor, George inherited the whole of his family fortune When he died in 1949, he left a wish in his will that almost his entire fortune should be expended on a new public building - the George Lawson Hall The Hall was built on the site of a former cotton mill and was officially opened by Lord Derby in 1960

michael ely on Geograph

George Lawton Hall, Mossley
Google Streetview

by Tameside Metropolitan Borough on 18 August 1999

Colour: blue

Wikimedia:

Flickr: