Captain Laurence Oates 1880-1912 Antarctic explorer lived here
This plaque disappeared when the building was demolished. There is now a Putney Society plaque nearby. We were very pleased to obtain permission from Mr Stephenson and the Antarctic Circle forum for donation of images for this plaque. Their site records it was unveiled on March 17, 1973 . The house was demolished in 1999 and, splendidly, the recovered plaque apparently spent time under a desk at English Heritage's old Saville Row offices. The English Heritage blue plaque FAQ cited this plaque as a notable example which was removed from the scheme, there being no alternative London address, but the article has been deleted.