J. H. Davis


Aged unknown

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Texas Historical Marker #12660

Site of Dobskyville. After immigrating from Prussia to Texas in 1846, Fredrick and Auguste Wilhelmine Dobsky moved here with their family in 1847 to 800 acres they had bought from J.H. Davis. Following Fredrick's death in 1873 his son Adolph inherited the land. Adolph and his wife Rosalia farmed and ranched and reared a family here. After Adolph's death in 1903 Adolph's son Henry opened a general store, and a school was built nearby in 1906. Dobsky expanded his general store to include a post office, gristmill, blacksmith shop, gasoline pump, saloon and the only telephone exchange in the area. A dance pavilion that the Dobskys added to their roadside property in 1909 served for many years as the site of numerous popular entertainment activities. Residents of the area farmed and ranched and gathered socially in one of Henry Dobsky's several establishments. The town of Dobskyville gradually declined after the 1930s depression and World War II. The pavilion was destroyed by a storm in 1942, and in 1948 the school closed. Henry Dobsky, described as the "general merchant, mayor, marshall and city attorney of Dobskyville," died in 1957. In 1969 the Dobsky home was dismantled. #12660

?, Weesatche, TX, United States where they owned land -1847)