Texas Historical Marker

14732
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#1 Early Community Building. Built 1877 by Charles Holman, builder-carpenter from Sweden. Stone was quarried south of town. Over the years, structure housed a school, churches, a newspaper office and a community center. It was purchased by J. E. McClelen in 1949 and restored as a private home. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969. #1

?, Seymour, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10 The Canyon News. First city newspaper, the"Echo," was printed 1889. The "Stayer" (1896), later renamed "Randall County News," was predecessor of the "News." Clyde W. Warwick, editor 45 years, 1910-1955. Won awards for outstanding weekly 1942, 1950. Special Edition (1949) was rated nation's best. Troy Martin became editor 1960. (1968) #10

414 15th St., Canyon, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#100 Albert Kosub House. -- #100

4.5 mi. W of LaVernia off FM 1346, La Vernia, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#1000 Comfort Post Office. From 1856, when Comfort's postal station was established, until this building was constructed in 1910, the town's post office was housed in various mercantile stores. In 1910, while Hermann Ingenhuett was serving as postmaster, this building was completed. Designed by noted San Antonio architect Alfred Giles, the renaissance revival style structure exhibits Giles' talent for blending red brick and limestone. It remained in use as a post office until 1952. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1985 #1000

814 High Street, Comfort, TX, United States

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10000 Early Teague Home. One of few remaining houses of Earpville (early Longview). North boundary of tract on Wm. t. Brooks' stagecoach line from Monroe, La. to Tyler, Texas. Built before 1882, when it was purchased by Latimus and Mary Teague, natives of Alabama. Two daughters, Misses Molly and Sarah Teague, held school sessions and taught music here beginning 1890. Classes moved to separate building where they continued until 1905. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1966 #10000

322 Teague St., Longview, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10001 Turner Home. Built in 1874, two years after town was established. A fireplace in each room, a stairway of carved walnut. Builder J. C. Turner, Sr., was first East Texan to import jersey cattle. Skilled horseman, thoroughbred owner. Old well and dairy house nearby. #10001

503 E. Methvin St., Longview, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10002 Wartime Home Industry. At this site, 1861-65, settler Joseph M. sparkman manufactured shoes for the Confederate Army. A victim of arthritis, he lay on his cot and ran the shop, while "Uncle Ben," a skilled slave shoemaker who had come with him from Georgia, supervised and taught young boys and old men who made the shoes. Both Joseph M. Sparkman and "Uncle Ben" are buried in the family plot on the estate, near here. Their work during the Civil War typifies the gallant spirit of volunteers who mined salt, made cloth and clothing, hunted the woods for medicinal herbs. #10002

?, Longview, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10003 Winterfield Cemetery. This cemetery began on the farm purchased in 1879 by July G. and Martha Howard Garner. Land was set aside for a family cemetery upon the deaths of the Garners' nephew, Joel S. Bright, and niece, Jessie L. Webb, in November 1887. This family cemetery eventually became a community graveyard with more than 500 graves. Among those buried here were farmers, city and county officials, and church leaders. Site maintenance, completed in the early 1900s by family members, was succeeded in 1971 by the Winterfield Cemetery Association. The site continues to serve the community. #10003

2615 Tryon Rd., Longview, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10004 Winterfield Methodist Church. This church traces its origin to Methodist camp meetings held here in the farm community of Winterfield as early as the 1870s. The site of the camp meetings, which drew settlers from Gregg, Upshur, and Harrison counties, was set aside in the early 1880s for worship purposes. Two small 1880s church buildings, sanctuaries erected here in 1929 and 1957, and other facilities including an education building have served the church. The congregation sponsors a number of outreach programs and activities and continues to provide civic and religious leadership for the community. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995 #10004

2616 Tryon Rd., Longview, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10005 F. L. Whaley House. Constructed in 1871 for hardware merchant Franklin L. Whaley and his wife Mary Caroline Rogers, this was one of the earliest homes built in Longview. Five generations of the Whaley family have lived here. Built in a central hall configuration with lumber cut on the site, the structure features gabled pavilions, three dormers above the front porch, fine milled wood details, and elaborate jigsawn balustrade and piers. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964 #10005

101 E. Whaley St., Longview, TX, United States

Marker on i 20 near longview commemorates the discovery in 1930 of the east texas oilfield, the %22world%27s richest...   nara   547768
#10007 World's Richest Acre. Part of fabulous East Texas oil field discovered in 1930. This 1.195-acre tract had first production on June 17, 1937, when the Mrs. Bess Johnson-Adams & Hale No. 1 well was brought in. Developed before well-spacing rules, this block is the most densely drilled tract in the world, with 24 wells on 10 lots owned by six different operators. This acre has produced over two and a half million barrels of crude oil; selling at $1.10 to $3.25 a barrel, it has brought more than five and a half million dollars. A forest of steel derricks for many years stood over the more than 1,000 wells in downtown Kilgore, marking the greatest concentration of oil wells in the history of the world. Dozens of these derricks still dot city's internationally famous skyline. Since 1930, the East Texas oil field has produced nearly four billion barrels of oil. It now has more than 17,000 producing wells, and geologists predict a future of at least 45 years for this "granddaddy of oil fields." Its development has attracted to the area many diversified industries and a progressive citizenship with a high degree of civic pride. #10007

?, Kilgore, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10008 F. W. Arhelger Shop. Frederick William Arhelger, a second generation cabinetmaker and wheelwright, constructed this building in 1898 for use as a farm implement shop. Built of quarried limestone, it was designed to accommodate wagons and large farm equipment. The front ramp, double doors, and the absence of partitions provided maximum access to the interior. Arhelger operated the business until 1918 when he wold it to Ernst Schmidt. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10008

109 Adams St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10009 Baethge-Behrend Homestead. Johann Heinrich Baethge (1814-1888), his wife Sophie Konradine (Pape) (1824-1888), and their two children immigrated to Texas from Germany in 1854. They lived at several locations in the Central Texas area before settling here on about 120 acres in 1867. The Baethges' homestead consisted of a main house constructed of handmade clay and straw bricks and a number of outbuildings. The Baethges' sons, Ferdinand and Heinrich, Jr., inherited the farm upon their parents' deaths in 1888. The family of Ferdinand and Louise Baethge lived here until 1937 when the property was sold to the August F. Behrend family. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995 #10009

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#1001 Commanding Officer's Quarters. Fort Clark was established as a U.S. Army garrison in June 1852. Nine structures designed by U.S. Army engineers were built in 1873-1874 to house the fort's officers. This house served the fort's commanding officers, including Col. Ranald S. Mackenzie and Gen. Jonathan M. Wainwright. Architectural features include a central entry, wood-frame porch, six-over-six windows, second floor dormers, and four large chimneys with sculpted caps. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1963 #1001

?, Brackettville, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10010 Henry Basse House. Descended from the Rev. Henrich S. W. Basse, a Lutheran pastor sent by the Adelsverein to serve German settlers in this area, Henry and Hugo Basse operated the Basse Brothers Cement Yard and created the Basse block, a popular building material in this region. This house, built in 1918-1920 by Henry Basse, is a testament to his business success and is a fine example of Basse block construction. A good local example of Prairie School-influenced design, it features a center passage plan and a three-bay, two-story porch with classical box columns on the first story. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1991 #10010

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10011 Bethany Lutheran Church. Early settlers in Fredericksburg worshiped together in a community church, the Vereins Kirche. On March 27, 1887, the Rev. John Heinzelmann and about 80 families organized a separate congregation known as Die Evangelische Kirche (The Evangelical church). Early worship services were conducted in the Vereins Kirche and later in the Southern (First) Methodist Church. By 1889 the members were able to build their own sanctuary at 107 E. Austin Street. A cornerstone-laying ceremony took place on April 14, and the new structure was dedicated on September 15. In addition to its service in Fredericksburg, the church conducted missionary work in nearby communities. Its name was changed in 1932 to Evangelische Lutherische Bethanien Gemeinde, and in 1954 the congregation officially adopted the English translation, Bethany Evangelical Lutheran church. English-language services were first introduced in 1931, but German services continued into the 1940s. A new sanctuary was built here in 1954. The 1889 structure was sold to another local church. Throughout its history, Bethany Lutheran Church has maintained a variety of worship, educational, civic, and missionary activities. #10011

110 W. Austin St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10012 Heinrich Bierschwale House. This home was built in 1872-73 by German immigrant Heinrich Bierschwale, a teacher in the rural schools of Gillespie and Mason counties. He later served as county and district clerk in Gillespie County. The two-story stone vernacular house features a one-story full facade front porch with bracketed columns and six-over-six windows. Bierschwale and his wife Margarete had nine children. The home has remained in the family for over a century. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1987 #10012

209 W. Austin St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10013 The Burrer Home. German native Gottlieb Burrer (1830-1916) migrated to this area in 1854. Here he married Katharina (Zammert) (1843-1931), the daughter of a pioneer Fredericksburg family. they built this two-story stone residence in the 1860s. the interior originally included an undivided sleeping area on the second floor and was heated by woodburning stoves. One of the nine Burrer children, Otto, later lived here. Additions to the home were made during the 1950s. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1980 #10013

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10014 Old Central Drugstore. Alphons Walter (1866-1957), a Swiss-born jeweler and watchmaker, had this 2-story building erected in 1905. He sold the property in 1909 to Robert G. Striegler (1874-1934), a noted Fredericksburg civic leader who operated the Central Drugstore on the lower floor. Despite later changes in proprietors, the drugstore occupied this site for over 70 years. the local telephone exchange leased the second floor for offices and a switchboard until 1954. The building has also housed doctors' offices and Herman Heyland's photographic business. #10014

124 E. Main St., Fredericksburg, TX, United States

Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#10015 Cherry Mountain School Complex. This complex represents a well preserved grouping of stone and wood buildings. The "old school", a pioneer-crafted one-room structure built on land donated by Carl durst, opened in 1883-84 with ten students. facilities added over the years include the "new school", a concrete block structure built in 1926, and an open-air theatre. Following the school's closing in 1949 the complex became the site for a variety of private and public social activities. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1992 #10015

?, Fredericksburg, TX, United States