place and bridge
Commemorated on 2 plaques
Robert Williamson inspired and built the original Valley Bridge. Opened 1st July 1865.
17 Valley Bridge Parade, Scarborough, United Kingdom where it sited (1865)
Valley Bridge. A bridge 30 feet wide was erected by the Scarborough Valley Bridge Company and opened as a toll bridge 1st July 1865. Purchased by the Corporation 12th June 1891. Tolls abolished 5th October 1919. That bridge was taken down and this bridge 64 feet 6 inches wide erected in its place 1926-8. Opened 26th July 1928 by Mrs Wilfrid Ashley. Alderman E. H. Matthews J.P., M.B.E. Mayor. Alderman Sir Meredith T. Whittaker KT., J.P. Chairman of the Committee Messrs Goode, Fitzmaurice, Wilson & Mitchell. Engineers John Butler & Co Ltd. Contractors
Valley Bridge north west side wall, Scarborough, United Kingdom where it sited (1865)