Jeffcott North Mechanics' Institute and Free Library
place and Mechanics' Institute (1891-1900)
Closed aged c. 9
Commemorated on 1 plaque
MIV Historical Plaques Program #0048
Jeffcott North Mechanics' Institute and Free Library. On this site 1891-1900. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. The opening of the Jeffcott North Mechanics' Institute and Free Library was celebrated with a Concert and Ball on 19th November 1891. It was a pine weatherboard building, 50ft x 20ft, built by Mr. J. R. Hornsby of Donald. It consisded of a main hall, library and reading room. It was a place for the district people to meet, learn and socialise. The Jeffcott Orchestra played at the Annual Race Concerts, Balls and other social functions. On 3rd January 1900 a fierce storm destroyed the building, a a clearing sale was held. A public hall was later built on a different site. This plaque, No. 48 in the MIV series, was placed on the site in November 2015 by the Jeffcott History Research Committee.
, Jeffcott North, Victoria, Australia where it sited (1891-1900)