MIV Historical Plaques Program

58
8705239947 be64382470 m
#0001 Maldon Athenaeum Library 1863. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 1 in the MIV series, was unveiled on 21 April 2003 during celebrations of the 150th anniversary of the discovery of gold at Maldon.

97 High Street, Maldon, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
8705257707 3fa31fc128 m
#0002 Ballan Mechanics' Institute. Founded 1861. Established on this site 1885. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 2 in the MIV series, was placed here on December 6, 2003 on the occasion of major renovations to the building.

143 Inglis Street, Ballan, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
8706322094 2c77fbfba4 m
#0003 Tallarook Mechanics' Institute. Established on this site 1891. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 3 in the MIV series, was unveiled on 6 April 2003 to mark the restoration of this building.

Main Road, Tallarook, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
8706797385 9c9d15b2ac m
#0004 Taradale Mechanics' Institute. Established on this site c. 1858. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 4 in the MIV series, was unveiled in 2004.

Calder Highway, Taradale, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
8711986504 df3dc9c761 m
#0005 Lilydale Athenaeum. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 5 in the MIV series, was unveiled on 22nd February 2004 by Richard Longmore, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Athenaeum Theatre Company in memory of Geoffrey Arch Page, Founding Director of the Athenaeum Theatre Company, to mark the restoration of the building.

35 Castella Street, Lilydale, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
9531868141 862034a8a0 m
#0006 Berwick Mechanics' Institute & Free Library. Established on this site in 1878. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 6 in the MIV series, was unveiled on the 17th March 2004 at the Annual General Meeting to commemorate 126 years on this site.

15 High Street, Berwick, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#0007 Minyip Mechanics' Institute. Established on this site in 1891. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 7 in the MIV series, was unveiled on the 12th June 2004 to commemorate the centenary of the main hall.

Main Street, Minyip, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
8711978046 1d2c1b7819 m
#0008 Frankston Mechanics' Institute. Opened on this site 1880. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 8 in the MIV series, was placed here in 2004 in recognition of the importance of this building to the residents of Frankston and to commemorate the reservation of this site as a free library on 15 September 1873.

1N Plowman Place, Frankston, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#0009 Mount Eccles Mechanics' Institute.

Hall Road, Mount Eccles, Victoria, Australia

8710871941 24e0723d8a m
#0010 Arthurs Creek Mechanics' Institute and Free Library. Established 1887. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 10 in the MIV series acknowledges the vision of the settlers who established Arthurs Creek Mechanics’ Institute and Free Library on 2 September 1887. We celebrate the contribution of successive generations to ensuring the Hall continues as a community focus. The plaque also commemorates Mr Ken Murphy’s valued contribution in documenting the Hall’s history.

Arthurs Creek Road, Arthurs Creek, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
8706285688 6e0d31d099 m
#0011 Prahran Mechanics' Institute (est. 1854) Formed Prahran Technical School of this site in 1915. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 11 in the MIV series, was unveiled on 8 October 2005 to mark the 90th anniversary of the opening ceremony of this building.

140 High Street, Prahran, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#0012 Digby Mechanics' Institute. Established 1870. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 12 in the MIV series, was unveiled to commemorate restoration by the Digby community in 2005

49 Buckingham Street, Digby, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
9724301150 f78b116962 m
#0013 The Melbourne Athenaeum. Established as the Melbourne Mechanics' Institute 12 November 1839. The Melbourne Mechanics' Institute was founded in 1839 with Mr Charles Joseph LaTrobe, Superintendent of the District of Port Phillip and Lieutenant-Governor of the Colony of Victoria, as Patron. Captain William Lonsdale as President, and the Rev. James Forbes as Secretary. The present site was purchased on 13 August 1840. The Institute became the Melbourne Mechanics' Institute and School of Arts in 1846 and the Melbourne Athenaeum on 10 February 1873. As part of the 165th birthday celebrations, this plaque, No. 13 in the MIV series, was unveiled on 24 October 2005 by John Landy, A.C., MBE Governor of Victoria

188 Collins Street, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
8707898631 8d6a2d7b21 m
#0014 Benalla Mechanics' Institute & Free Library. Established here in 1869. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. With the placing of this plaque, No. 14 in the MIV series, the Benalla Historical Society Inc. acknowledges the vision of Benalla’s earlier settlers and ensures this building now functions as a museum and is a place of interest, education and enjoyment. October 2005

14 Mair Street, Benalla, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#0015 Jindivick Mechanics' Institute.

1290 Jacksons Track, Jindivick, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
32662593124 6a734a7e1f m
#0016 Emerald Mechanics' Institute. Established 1905 and relocated to this site in 1923.The Mechanics’ Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A “mechanic” was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics’ Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the “spread of useful knowledge” and provision for “rational recreation” in the community. This plaque, No. 16 in the MIV series, commemorates the Institute's 100 years of service to the Emerald community.

400a Belgrave-Gembrook Rd, Emerald, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
8706506021 93a4401c05 m
#0017 Dean Hall & Mechanics Institute. Established on this site in 1891. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No 17 in the MIV series, acknowledges the vision and dedicated contribution of supporters of Dean and district who have ensured the continuity of Dean Hall and Mechanics Institute as a focal point for the community for successive generations. Dedicated in 2006 in the 115th Anniversary year to celebrate the refurbishment of the historic building.

Daylesford-Ballarat Road, Dean, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
8718326399 089e3be452 m
#0018 Oakleigh Mechanics’ Institute. First Built on this site in 1886. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community.This plaque, No. 18 in the MIV series, was placed in 2006 to commemorate the centenary of the rebuilding of the Oakleigh Mechanics’ Institute and to record its educational, social, cultural and municipal importance to the community including service as Oakleigh Town Hall.

142-144 Drummond Street, Oakleigh, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
Nophotosqr c8cff0fa2e124eb250f8f6105b227a36933c2aa31cbf3258895bafaa81e1b932
#0019 Newham Mechanics’ Institute. Established 1903. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 19 in the MIV series, celebrates the Newham community 2007.

1292 Rochford Road, Newham, Victoria, Australia

Subjects
8709114286 77003202d4 m
#0020 Nagambie Mechanics' Institute. Established on this site in 1873. Extended in 1930. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 20 in the MIV series, was erected in 2007 on this historic building held in trust for the community.

286 High Street, Nagambie, Victoria, Australia

Subjects