Commemorated on 2 plaques
Leeds Union Workhouse opened in 1861 at a cost of £32,00 to accommodate 800 paupers. In 1944 it became part of St James's Hospital, and in 1995-97 it was splendidly refurbished as the Thackray Medical Museum. Architects: Perkin & Backhouse
Beckett Street, Leeds, United Kingdom where they designed (1861)
Ripon Union Workhouse These impressive buildings were home to the poor and destitute of the city and surrounding parishes before the Welfare State. Replacing an earlier poor house, construction began in 1854 to the designs of Perkin and Backhouse of Leeds. Male and female paupers were separately housed within the main block. From the 1870s vagrants were accommodated in the gatehouse wings.
Allhallowgate, Ripon, United Kingdom where they designed (1854)