Spa Road railway station

place and railway station

Aged unknown

Spa Road railway station in Bermondsey, south-east London, was the original terminus of the capital's first railway, the London and Greenwich Railway (L&GR). It was also the first railway terminus in what is now Greater London. First opened in 1836, the station went through several changes of ownership, was rebuilt several times, changed its name and was relocated a couple of hundred yards away from its original site before it finally closed in 1915 due to cost-saving measures during the First World War. The disused station building is today part of a light industrial estate. A number of elements of the original station – including the ticket office and remnants of the platforms – are still visible.

DbPedia
Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Nick Harrison on Flickr
Transport Heritage Site 'Red Wheel' #34

Spa Road Station. London's first railway terminus, opened in 1836 by the London & Greenwich Railway, later superseded by London Bridge

Rouel Road, Bermondsey, SE16, London, United Kingdom where it sited