Sir Dr Robert William Philip
Commemorated on 2 plaques
In memory of Sir Robert W. Philip 1857-1939 physician, statesman of preventative medicine, first Professor of Tuberculosis in the University of Edinburgh. Near this place, in 1887, Dr Robert W. Philip founded a tuberculosis dispensary, the first clinic in the world dedicated to fighting a disease of which he foretold man's eventual mastery. His vision has brought hope to many lands.
Bank Street, Edinburgh, United Kingdom where they founded the first tuberculosis clinic in the world
Sir Robert Philip pioneer in the crusade against tuberculosis lived in this house from 1898 until 1938
45 Charlotte Square, Edinburgh, United Kingdom where they lived (1898-1938)