Commemorated on 2 plaques
Bandstand in the Park. The bandstand was a gift to the people of Grange from Harold Porritt JP, the director of a textile factory in Helmshore, Lancashire, who came to the town in 1895. Originally sited on the promenade, this structure was eventually moved here because ladies made a protest to the council a delicate matter of soot from the steam trains ruining their clothes whilst they listened to band music. Mr Porritt also established the "Tea Rooms" on the promenade.
Park Road Gardens, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom where they gifted
Tea Rooms. Mr. Harold Porritt, JP, Director of a textile factory in Helmshore, Lancashire first visited Grange in 1895, fell in love with its beautiful surroundings so decided to stay. As a way of enhancing local facilities for residents and visitors alike he established the "Tea Rooms", erected on a section of the Promenade built by Grange Urban District Council in 1901. Mr Porritt was also responsible for the erection of a bandstand situated nearby but this welcome addition had to be moved to Park Gardens on the Esplanade because ladies frequently found soot marks on their clothes after steam trains had passed by.
The Promenade, Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom where they created