John Tallis
(1816-1876)

Died aged c. 60

John Tallis (7 November 1817 – 3 June 1876) was an English cartographic publisher. His company, John Tallis and Company, published views, maps and atlases in London from roughly 1838 to 1851. Tallis set up as a publisher with Frederick Tallis in Cripplegate in 1842; the business moved to Smithfield in 1846, and was dissolved in 1849. From 1851 to 1854 Tallis operated as John Tallis and Company. He started The illustrated news of the world and national portrait gallery of eminent personages in 1858, selling it for £1,370 in 1861; it folded in 1863. He lived in New Cross, South East London. His house on New Cross Road is Grade II Listed and has a blue plaque on the wall. - DbPedia

Wikidata Wikipedia

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Photo of John Tallis blue plaque
Spudgun67 on Wikimedia Commons