Commemorated on 1 plaque

Texas Historical Marker #16515

James L. Autry House. Mississippi native James L. Autry (1859-1920) moved to Corsicana in 1876. There he studied law and held civic offices at the time of the first oil discoveries in Texas. He was chief counsel for the Texas Co. (later Texaco) and a pioneer in the new field of petroleum law. Autry commissioned Sanguinet and Staats to design this home, which was constructed in 1912. The neoclassical design features a double balustraded gallery and large fluted Doric columns. Also prominent are a porte-cochere and fernery (sunroom), and a hipped Ludowici tile roof. The rear garage has upstairs servants quarters. #16515

5 Courtlandt Place, Houston, TX, United States where he lived