Abbott Baptist Church, Abbott, TX

place and church

Aged unknown

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Texas Historical Marker #66

Abbott Baptist Church. Organized in 1876 as the Liberty Grove Baptist Church by 13 founding members, this congregation met in the Liberty Grove Schoolhouse 2 miles south of here. Renamed the Abbott Baptist Church in 1879, the church moved to Abbott in 1885. Services were held in the Methodist Church until 1892 when a Baptist Sanctuary was erected. Additions to the facilities were made in 1923 and in 1949 as the membership grew. The church has maintained active community outreach and foreign missionary programs, and has been an integral part of the community for more than 120 years. (1996) #66

102 S. Borden, Abbott, TX, United States where it sited