Dr Elsie Inglis 1864-1917

"Royal Mile, Edinburgh, Scotland. As part of the Elsie Inglis Heritage Trail. This was the site of a free clinic and dispensary established by Dr Elsie Maud Inglis (16 August 1864 – 26 November 1917), staffed solely by women. After her death the Elsie Inglis Memorial Maternity Hospital (known locally as Elisie's) was opened in 1925 in Spring Gardens, Abbeyhill, backing onto Holyrood Park. It was closed in 1988 with part of it being demolished, part becoming a Nursing Home and a Nursery, and new homes being built on the remainder of the site." - http://www.flickr.com/photos/43675100@N08/6991951860/

gnomonic on Flickr
kim traynor on Geograph

219 High Street, Edinburgh
Google Streetview

Colour: bronze

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

See also...
gnomonic on Flickr
gnomonic on Flickr
gnomonic on Flickr