Tallarook Mechanics' Institute. Established on this site 1891. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 3 in the MIV series, was unveiled on 6 April 2003 to mark the restoration of this building.
Main Road, Tallarook, Victoria
Google Streetview OpenStreetMap
by Mechanics' Institutes of Victoria Inc. on 06 April 2003 #0003 of the MIV Historical Plaques Program series