Maldon Athenaeum Library 1863. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 1 in the MIV series, was unveiled on 21 April 2003 during celebrations of the 150th anniversary of the discovery of gold at Maldon.
97 High Street, Maldon, Victoria
Google Streetview OpenStreetMap
by Mechanics' Institutes of Victoria Inc. on 21 April 2003 #0001 of the MIV Historical Plaques Program series