Benalla Mechanics' Institute & Free Library. Established here in 1869. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. With the placing of this plaque, No. 14 in the MIV series, the Benalla Historical Society Inc. acknowledges the vision of Benalla’s earlier settlers and ensures this building now functions as a museum and is a place of interest, education and enjoyment. October 2005

Photo of Benalla Mechanics' Institute & Free Library blue plaque
bron lowden on Flickr
Photo of Benalla Mechanics' Institute & Free Library blue plaque
Mattinbgn (talk · contribs) on Wikimedia Commons
This is an approximate position

by Mechanics' Institutes of Victoria Inc. #0014 of the MIV Historical Plaques Program series

Colour: blue

Wikimedia:

Flickr: