Mortlake Mechanics' Institute. Established on this site 1869. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. This plaque, No. 22 in the MIV series, was erected in 2008 to honour the memory of the people of Mortlake and district who have built and maintained our hall for the benefit of our community.
This is an approximate position
Mortlake Mechanics Institute, Mortlake, Victoria
[geolocate this address]
Google Streetview OpenStreetMap
by Mechanics' Institutes of Victoria Inc. in 2008 #0022 of the MIV Historical Plaques Program series