First United Methodist Church of Port Lavaca. The First Methodist Church of Port Lavaca was organized in 1841 by the Rev. Joseph P. Sneed of the Victoria circuit. By 1844 the Lavaca congregation had joined the newly formed Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Though hurricanes plagued the area, the congregation persevered. The 1862 building was destroyed in 1875; its 1898 replacement, which harbored the bell of the ravaged Indianola Methodist Church, was lost in the storm of 1945. A complex of facilities was completed in 1958, with a new sanctuary added in 1975. The First United Methodist Church of Port Lavaca continues a tradition of service to the community. (1998) #1246

814 N. San Antonio Street, Port Lavaca, TX
Google Streetview

by Texas Historical Commission #1246 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr: