Locklin Cemetery. Abigale McLennan Fokes acquired a Mexican land grant here in 1835. Peter M. Mercer established a blacksmith shop in this area in the early 1840s. His burial in 1844 is the first recorded in this cemetery. Fokes later set aside this site for cemetery purposes. The cemetery is believed to be named for the extended family of early area settler William Lawson Locklin. It presently contains about 400 burials including many of this area's frontier settlers and their descendants and veterans of the Texas revolution and Republic of Texas Army. It continues to serve the area. (1994) #7982

Darryl Pearson on Wikimedia Commons
Darryl Pearson on Wikimedia Commons

by Texas Historical Commission #7982 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.