Covenant United Presbyterian Church. Organized July 1854 by The Rev. Richard O. Watkins, as Cumberland Presbyterian Church. First church building was erected in 1854-55. First pastor, The Rev. Dempsey W. Broughton, helped found Trinity University. Present sanctuary was built in 1877. Church took name "First Presbyterian" after national denominational merger in 1906. It became "Covenant" after absorbing Gastonia (1912) and Jiba (1963) congregations. Incise on back: Marker in memory of our parents, Martha Jane and Jim Duncan, by Bertha Duncan Lane and Herman H. Duncan Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1971 #8504

Rheba on Flickr

by Texas Historical Commission #8504 of the Texas Historical Marker series

Colour: black

Wikimedia:

Flickr:

Subjects

None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.