Site of Temple Moses Montefiore. In 1887 Jewish residents of the Marshall area organized the Moses Montefiore congregation, Adath Israel. Daniel Doppelmayer, a Civil War veteran and one of the pioneer Jewish settlers of the area, was selected as the first president. At his suggestion, the congregational name was chosen to honor Sir Moses Montefiore (1784-1885), the noted Jewish financier and philanthropist of England. In 1900, under the direction of President Ike Hochwald, a temple was constructed at this site. Designed by the local architect C. G. Lancaster and built by the firm of Sonnefield and Emmons, it featured an elaborate middle eastern architectural style. The structure served as the congregation's place of worship and as a center of the community's cultural and civic activity until 1973, when it was razed. The Moses Montefiore congregation was founded on a tradition of community leadership, which was begun by pioneer Jewish residents who moved here when the area was first settled. Members and rabbis of the temple continue to play a vital role in the development of Marshall. Their contributions now serve as reminders of their influence on the civic, business and cultural character of the city. #10218

See also...
Nick Harrison on Flickr
David Anstiss on Geograph
Temple Moses Montefiore, Site of. #15586