Alexandra Mechanics' Institute. A library service for Alexandra since 1877. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. In 1877 residents of Alexandra formed a library committee and established a Mechanics' Institute and Free Library in the Protestant Hall. Despite those "who looked upon the venture as altogether too advanced for an outside township" the Alexandra Library and Mechanics Hall was built by Thomas Carrison at a cost of £467 and opened on 6 June 1883. This building was duplicated in 1891 for a Billiard Room, and in 1962 the library expanded into both buildings. in 2005 a new extension was opened. This plaque, No. 39 in the MIV series, was placed here in 2013 to mark the 130th anniversary of the building.