Great Western Railway 1835 - 1985 Stafford Road Works Stafford Road Works and Locomotive Sheds were situated immediately south of Gorsebrook Road. The first workshops were built about 1849, the first locomotive in 1859 and by 1908 nearly 800 locomotives had been built. Stafford Road was the headquarters of G.W.R. Northern Division and continued to repair locomotives until closure in 1964. This plaque, erected by West Midlands County Council, is to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the incorporation of the G.W.R. and the achievements of the workforce in making it one of the worlds great railways.