This building was a small part of the home of John Winchcombe (c.1489-1557) also known as 'Jack of Newbury' leading Tudor producer of dyed cloth, on an industrial scale two centuries before the Industrial Revolution. Exporter across Europe and beyond. Owner of Bucklebury and Thatcham. Leader of Newbury men to war for Henry VIII. The main part of this house was demolished to make way for Marks & Spencer.
This plaque is a replacement because of a confusion over multiple John Winchcombes. It should have referred to John the younger see Plaque to be replaced on historic Newbury house