Near this site stood Millbank Prison, which was opened in 1816 and closed in 1880. This buttress stood at the head of the rivers steps from which, until 1857, prisoners sentenced to transportation embarked on their journey to Australia.

Spudgun67 on Flickr
on Wikimedia Commons
Spudgun67 on Flickr

Millbank, SW1, London
Google Streetview

Colour: grey




None identified yet. Subjects are curated by hand so please bear with us.