Stephen Mathus Gose
Died aged c. 53
Commemorated on 2 plaques
Texas Historical Marker #1198
Decatur First United Methodist Church. Organized in 1862, this congregation is the oldest in Decatur. The Reverend J. R. Bellamy conducted the first services in a vacant store on the south side of the town square. Other churches were not started in the community until after the Civil War. Instrumental leaders in the development of the young church were charter members Stephen M. Gose and his wife Mary. A blacksmith and farmer, Gose had migrated to this area from Missouri. Their home and pump organ were used for many of the early services. The first sanctuary was constructed at this site in 1881. Property for the congregation was deeded by the county government. Built during the pastorate of the Reverend E. D. Dejernet, the edifice was destroyed by fire in the early 1890s. A second church structure for the fellowship was soon built at this location. It served the growing membership until the present brick sanctuary was completed. Constructed under the leadership of the Reverend A. R. Nash, it was dedicated at Easter services in 1914. An educational wing was added in 1940.
104 S. Miller, Decatur, TX, United States where they worshipped
Texas Historical Marker #2231
Gose Trees. Remnant of bois d'arc hedge which encircled the log cabin of Stephen M. Gose (1824-77), early justice of the peace, blacksmith, and leader of Methodist church, who came to Texas from Missouri in 1859. The spiny trees, planted 1861, served as a barrier against prowling Indians.
402 W. Walnut, Decatur, TX, United States where they lived (1859)