Odeon Cinema, Harrogate
place and cinema
Commemorated on 1 plaque
Odeon Cinema. Opened on 28th September 1936 as a single screened cinema seating an audience of 1,647, the Odeon was designed by cinema chain architect Harry Weedon, in the fashionable Art Deco style, costing nearly £32,000 to build. It was the first building on the site originally intended for an abortive Harrogate Opera House. Internal conversions in 1972, 1989 and 2001 provided multi-screens, and in 1996 the cinema featured on the 19p postage stamp.
East Parade, Harrogate, United Kingdom where it sited (1936)