Commemorated on 2 plaques
This building was erected by the famous clothmaker John Winchcombe, known as "Jack of Newbury" in the early 15th century and here he entertained Henry VIII and his queen Catherine of Aragon and Cardinal Wolsey shortly before his death in 1519. It was due to gifts from John Winchcombe and his son that the greater part of the present parish church of Newbury was built between 1500 and 1532.
24 Northbrook Street, Newbury, United Kingdom where they built
This building was a small part of the home of John Winchcombe (c.1489-1557) also known as 'Jack of Newbury' leading Tudor producer of dyed cloth, on an industrial scale two centuries before the Industrial Revolution. Exporter across Europe and beyond. Owner of Bucklebury and Thatcham. Leader of Newbury men to war for Henry VIII. The main part of this house was demolished to make way for Marks & Spencer.
, Newbury, United Kingdom where they lived