This building was erected by the famous clothmaker John Winchcombe, known as "Jack of Newbury" in the early 15th century and here he entertained Henry VIII and his Queen Catherine of Aragon and Cardinal Wolsey shortly before his death in 1519. It was due to gifts from John Winchcombe and his son that the greater part of the present parish church of Newbury was built between 1500 and 1532.