Oddfellows Hall. This hall has a long and varied history. The Unicorn Inn originally stood on the site. It was replaced in 1833 by Kendal architect George Webster for the local lodge of the Oddfellows, a Friendly Society for working men, which provided social and educational activities, including the occasional public play. For a time the ground floor was let off as a beer-house, the Nelson Tavern. The Mechanics' Institute took over the hall in 1857. For a short time in 1890-1 it became The People's Palace to provide wholesome entertainment and instruction for the labouring classes. During both World Wards and later, the hall was used by local clubs. Before conversion to housing it had been the Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah's Witnesses.