Castlerock Shipyard. Named after the 'castle' built by Saxon Princess Ethelfleda, King Alfred the Great's daughter in 915 A.D., which was near the first support of the railway bridge, close to this spot. Shipbuilding here since 1810, with facilities owned by, amongst others, John Anderton & Co., Anderton & LeCouteur, Speakman & Sons, and perhaps most famously, Richard Abel & Sons. Two of Abel's boats still exist today - Oakdale (built 1951) and Mossdale (built in Northwich c.1860, and bought and rebuilt by Abel's). These boats are the last remaining 'Mersey Flats'. The last boat built at the yard was Ruth Bate in 1953. The site closed because of the building of the Jubilee Bridge and changes to Abel's business, which closed in 1964.