Pikeing Well. Several wells existed along this stretch of the river. In 1740 New Walk was extended from Blue Bridge past Pikeing Well. In 1749 the corporation of York agreed to “contract with proper workmen for the making of a hansom fountain at Pikeing Well”. A well house was built in 1752 to the designs of John Carr who later become Yorkshire most notable Georgian Architect. In 1858 a re-building of this well house by Thomas Pickersgill the City Surveyor. The structure is now listed grade II*. Water from the well was thought to have medicinal qualities, particularly in the treatment of sore eyes. The Pikeing Well was restored in the year 2000 as part of the Millennium Bridge Project.