Cumberland House. Erected in the early eighteenth century by Alderman William Cornwell, one time Sheriff and twice Lord Mayor of York. It appears to have been given its name in honour of the Duke of Cumberland, second son of King George II, who was given the freedom of the City on his way back to London after the battle of Culloden in 1746.