14547806041 47c48e119f m
Education Offices Opened in 1879 as Firth College through the generosity of Mark Firth (1819-1880), an eminent local steelmaker and manufacturer, the college was a centre for popular lectures and university extension classes and, alongside the Sheffield Medical School, was the forerunner of the University of Sheffield. From 1905 to 1963 these buildings served as premises for a variety of local schools, the last of which was the Central Technical School for Boys.

Leopold Street, Sheffield, United Kingdom

14571318073 a210ef4251 m
Central Library/Graves Gallery Alderman John George Graves (1866-1945) was born in Lincolnshire, moving to Sheffield and establishing several manufacturing businesses, and a highly successful mail-order operation.A dedicated Salvationist, he became one of the city's greatest philanthropists, to which the Graves Art Gallery, Graves Park and much else besides testify.

Central Library and Graves Art Gallery, Surrey Street, Sheffield, United Kingdom