Samuel G. Allison

man

Aged unknown

Commemorated on 1 plaque

Texas Historical Marker #10812

Allison Chapel United Methodist Church. The Rev. Littleton Fowler, an early Methodist missionary in East Texas, is believed to have organized this congregation between 1837 and 1839. Land for the first sanctuary, now the site of Old Williams Cemetery (1 mi. W), was donated by Purviance Williams. The congregation was originally known as Bethesda Church, but the name was later changed to honor Samuel G. Allison, who gave land for the present building site in 1882. Traditionally, Allison Chapel United Methodist Church has been considered the oldest active church in Panola County. #10812

?, Carthage, TX, United States where he is commemorated