Ruffy Mechanics' Institute Hall
place and Mechanics' Institute
Commemorated on 1 plaque
MIV Historical Plaques Program #0047
Ruffy Mechanics' Institute Hall. Ruffy township proclaimed 1878. Ruffy Mechanics' Institute and Free Library established 1893. The Mechanics' Institute movement began in British urban industrial centres in the early 1800s. A "mechanic" was a person applying skills and technology. During the 19th century, most towns in Victoria established a Mechanics' Institute or Athenaeum with a library and meeting hall. Common objects were the "spread of useful knowledge" and provision for "rational recreation" in the community. The first Ruffy Mechanics' Institute & Free Library was a weatherboard building 20ft x 30ft. The hall, with planned improvements, was the venue for balls, church meetings, dances, concerts, card nights, chess and draught club meetings - all regular entertainments for the people of Ruffy and district. The hall has been modified and extended over the years and continues as a popular centre for community events. This plaque, No. 47 in the MIV series, was placed here to acknowledge the generosity, hard work and fundraising efforts of the committee and community.
Nolans Road, Ruffy, Victoria, Australia where it sited